Biggest Jackpot in The World Right Now
Playing massive jackpot games is not for the faint of heart. The amount of money up for grabs in these games is huge, and can make even the most seasoned veteran’s blood run cold with anticipation and excitement. Don’t even believe anyone that tells you playing for high jackpots can’t bring you life changing money – they’re wrong. It’s already happened. You could be next!
Below, we break down 10 of the world’s biggest jackpots of all time:
- US Powerball awards $1.6 billion – Three different players hit the prize on January 13. 2016. This remains the largest total jackpot prize in history.
- The largest Mega Millions jackpot ever handed out $656 million to three lucky winners across the United States on March 30, 2012 .
- Mega Millions jackpot of $648 million – Two tickets split this huge prize on December 17, 2013.
- Powerball jackpot worth $590.5 million was awarded to a single winning ticket from Florida on May 18, 2013.
- A $587.5 million Powerball jackpot was awarded on November 28, 2012 to winners in Arizona and Missouri.
- Three big Powerball winners split $564.1 million in prize money on February 11, 2015.
- The $536 million Mega Millions jackpot from July 8, 2016 is the highest cash value jackpot ever awarded for a single ticket.
- A Powerball jackpot worth $487 million was handed out to a single lucky winner on July 30, 2016.
- A $448.4 million jackpot was split by three winners (two of them from New Jersey) on August 7, 2013.
- A Powerball jackpot worth $429.6 million was won by one mane from New Jersey on May 7, 2016.
Other record breaking jackpots
Biggest UK lottery win – £161m
Chris and Colin Weir had their world changed forever when they took home the largest lottery win ever in the UK for £161m. After splurging on a lot of new purchases, they also donated some money to charity as well.
Biggest online jackpot winner ever – $20 million
The progressive slot jackpot Mega Moolah paid out over $20 million to a lucky Scandinavian man in 2015.
Jackpots that are $100 million or higher
Powerball: Is a US based lottery that has a minimum jackpot of $40 million. Games are held Wednesday and Saturday night, using 5/69 white balls and 1/26 powerballs format.
Mega Millions: Is a US based lottery game offered in 44 states that costs only $1 to play but offers a minimum jackpot of $15 million. It uses 5/75 white balls and 1/15 mega balls.
EuroMillions: Is a lotto held in several countries across Europe in which players select five “main numbers” from 1-50 and two “lucky star” numbers from a pool of 12 numbers. The largest win ever was €168,085,323.
SuperEnalotto: Is an exclusive Italian lottery with drawings held every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 20:00. Tickets cost €1, with the largest prize ever awarded standing at €177.7 million.
Eurojackpot: Is a European lottery offered across several different countries. The minimum jackpot awarded is €10 million, but can roll over to reach as high as €90 million. It costs €2 a line to play, with drawings every Friday at 21:00. The max jackpot of €90 million has already been hit several times.